Sunday, August 16, 2009

....to pick up an old jazz record


Miss Moody will completely disagree with this posting, but I believe everyone should give it a try. I've been playing jazz saxophone for 14 years now. Some parts of my life I was playing more than others, but I've always loved it. Recently I've begun playing regularly again, and it has shaped the songs I listen to during the day as well. It's really become a fun experience to put on any of my old jazz records, and be transported to a different place and time.

My life is pretty hectic at times, what with having tons of people to answer to, and being the person the company constantly relies on to get them out of a jam (I'm sure many of you can relate.) When I get a chance to put on one of these records and remember a time without cell phones, texting, email, or even a ton of cars on the road, it makes me envious (especially on the last day of the pay period/quarter/year end. You know, whatever deadline you're company calls it when everyone stresses out, yells, pulls long hours, and subscribes to a certain type of crazy that I think only us Americans are capable of.)

Lot's of people have tried to define Jazz, but I prefer Wynton Marsalis' definition "jazz is a dialogue." He goes on to explain the conversation is between musician and musician, musician and listener, musician and instrument, even musician and moment in time. Because of the large focus on improvisation in jazz, no two moments are ever the same. So when you put on that record you are opening an audible time capsule.

One of the greatest things about being a part of this eccentric group of people, are the experiences, and the relationships those experiences create. Even today in most real jazz clubs (not venues with $18 martini's and presold tickets) it is very acceptable to bring your horn and sit in with the group that is playing. Now don't get me wrong you can't just be anybody. There is an unspoken rule that you have to be a certain level of player to be allowed to sit in, but for some reason they always know. Generally there is one older guy in the band, and when you walk up and ask if you can sit in the rest of the band turns to him. This ability to instantly size someone up and decide what kind of player they are before they touch their horn must be something you just pick up over the years (it may seem a little unfair, but I've never seen it be wrong. And who are you to judge? You just started listening to jazz 3 minutes ago. Man! Some People!)

I feel the best way to illustrate how an evening might go is to share a story about a time I sat in with a group of ragtime cats.*
(*cats refers to other jazz musicians, and is a completely acceptable term still used a lot today in those circles. So when your done snickering and rolling your eyes, I was trying to tell a story here. Thank you.)
Like I was saying, while living in Seattle I had stumbled into a little club in Pioneer Square that did live jazz called New Orleans Club. I decided to swing by later in the week with my horn and see who was playing. When I showed up it was a quintet of old cats* playing some ragtime and swing tunes. Immediately when walking in they noticed I was carrying my horn, and acknowledged me from the stage with a couple sqwawks and a head nod or two (again all customery.) On set break a couple of the guys came up and asked what I played. We swapped stories, and I complimented their set. They asked if I'd like to sit in, and of course I accepted.

The leader of this group they called "Kid." He was 52, and the youngest of the musicians. There was already one saxophone player in the group, so we had to get his ok before I could officially be allowed to play. His name was Gerald. Age 64 and at my spry 24 I don't think I could keep up with this old swinger. He agreed to let me play and was one of the nicest old timers I had met. Gerald was already on his second bottle of cabernet when I got on stage. He was hugging and kissing all over a couple of the ladies that showed up for the concert, and I can imagine that he was, and always would be, a stereotype in all the best ways.

If any of you have ever seen a true jazz combo perform then you know about the "laughter." It's half way through a song and the band is playing along when suddenly a couple of the guys in the band start to laugh. The audience thinks to themselves "Did I miss something?" It happens several times throughout the night, and I always get asked by friends that watch the show. The best way I can explain it is to say there are a lot of things that are funny to us. Someone coming in on the wrong bar, inserting a piece of a famous solo or other tune in their solo, hitting a wrong note and trying to cover it up, or just 2 people having the same musical idea at the same time. The best analogy I can give is that it's like watching a bunch of scientists in a lab, and one of them confuses two elements of the periodical table, the others laugh at his misfortune knowing that no one else in the world would find it funny in the least.

So as the night went on, and Gerald drank more wine, we cut up and had a great time. Lot's of laughing, lot's of playing off of eachother that the audience really enjoyed. At one point an audience member called out "Who's the young guy?" in which Gerald, without missing a beat, grabbed the microphone and said "He's my Dad." It was an amazing evening, and a very common occurance in this kind of circle.

Well whether you liked it or not, I hope you are at least a little intrigued about jazz music and culture. Below I've listed some great records to pick up. The best selling jazz record of all times is number 1 on the list, and I'm sure you will recognize a lot of the tunes from it. They've been used in tons of movies, and are a part of your daily lives if you know it or not. Well enjoy the music that has allowed me to have some wonderful experiences, and remember a time that I never lived. Thanks and tell your friends!!!

1. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
2. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
3. Sonny Rollins and Dizzy Gillespie - Sonny Side Up
4. John Coltrane - Blue Train
5. Clifford Brown - Clifford Brown with Strings

2 comments:

  1. I love to listen to you play the sax. It isn't just the music you make but the feeling you put into it. Plus, being your father, it moves me to see you enjoy and feel pasionate about what you are doing. That is the greatest gift a child can give a parent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man Kitten*, you rock that horn like the coolest cat this side of N'awlins! And they've got some mighty good music down dem ways. You and Katie should go there for a lil vacation of jazz and benjeighs and a stroll down Bourbon Street sometime. (Kitten is a young cat like yourself, Daddio!) I know if you haven't had had the mad skills you OWN with your beautiful singing and playing on that horn or yours, Mama's funeral would have been so boring and sad instead of the moving, beautiful remembrance you made it to be.We will all always be so very grateful to you for that gift! Plus Katie* (Katie is also synonymous with being a baby kitten!) told me a little secret! The thing she loves most about you is your great skills at Sax. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete